Friday, June 09, 2006

Spooky goat man variations and cartoonlessness

Here’s a little watercolour study of Kurt Angle done in the spirit of Turner. This one is FINISHED, I think. It’s teeny tiny.






But it turns out he’s really hard to draw. Here are some frustrated little studies. I will understand the shape of your head Kurt, one day.







Now here are a couple that have been nearly finished for a long time. (See my current grey blog entry for more on my nervous twitchy issues around finishing stuff.) These are still not finished, but on a screen that has less meaning. One is a softer more diffuse supernatural Randy Orton goat man (he needs more electricity though).






You might have noticed that I draw Randy Orton a lot. This would be difficult to deny.

One’s a slightly more rugged fluorescent Randy Orton goat man. I used a lot of white lines on him.

I was trying to incorporate some zeitgeisty graphical lighting inflections from game screenshots. Spell effects from RPGs and things. It seemed a wholesome way to attempt to be zeitgeisty.






Those are the at the spookier end of my idiom I reckon. Very dense and peculiar layering of materials going on here.

It’s nice to do two of something. It allows you to explore subtly divergent variations on an atmosphere.

I’ve got nothing very cartoony this week. It’s a shame. It’s one of the most challenging things to do well. Soon though. Soon it will come together.

12 comments:

Gabriel said...

I think I'll only understand how you do your paintings the day I watch you working. Maybe you could film yourself and post it on youtube. Hey, maybe you doing a whole piece, sped up! Hm, I think I might try doing it myself...

Chloe Cumming said...

Hi Gabriel,

Actually I used to have camcorder with a time lapse feature and I used to film myself painting and watch it back because it showed me how I do it!

That camcorder kind of broke though.

Hey if anyone wants to buy me a digital camcorder with a time lapse feature for my birthday (17th of June) I promise I'll post films of me painting up on youtube.

Marc Deckter said...

Hey - filming yourself doing these paintings with a camcorder would be great! Good suggestion, Gabriel!

I really like this "zeitgeisty graphical lighting inflections from game screenshots" that you incorporated into the Randy Orton piece, Chloe. I have noticed on your intense thinky blog that images of video games were popping up throughout your thoughts - what a great inspiration! I look forward to seeing more of that influencing your paintings.

And hey, speaking of Kurt Angle - here's one of my favorite lyrics from one of my favorite rappers, MF DOOM, from the song "Great Day":

... Looky here, it's just the way the cookie tear/ Prepare to get hurt and mangled like Kurt Angle rookie year...

Oh by they way, unfortunately Slash never showed up to the Geekapalooza event yesterday - oh well =[

Marlo said...

HOLY SHIT!!!!!!!


your artwork is fucking amazing and you're HOT???? WOW! i'm so happy you exist. can we hang out sometime? do you have myspace?

thanks for the blog comment

Marlo said...

yeah they are called bangs.

Ryan Khatam said...

triptacular!

Chloe Cumming said...

Nice comments chaps.

Marlo, and everybody else, my Myspace is here where my myspace is.

Marc, thanks for responding to my bossy request for your attention. You are a top class commenter.

Hi Marlo, I was so tickled by your lovefest AIM last night. Sorry about going to sleep and all that. We must communicate more and capitalise on our mindblowingly extreme levels of collective lady charisma.

Marc Deckter said...

Haha! Hey, it's nice to be requested to comment!

I just checked out your myspace page and noticed that one of your friends is the "David Lynch Foundation." I'm a huge fan of David Lynch's work! Have you joined his website?

Once I have more of a steady income I really want to sign up - the site looks incredible. His television sitcom "Rabbits" was on YouTube temporarily (but its down now) - it was amazing! He is one of my biggest inspirations.

Shawn Dickinson said...

These are pretty! You have an interesting style. I like it!

tablet pc android said...

Thanks for this post, pretty effective piece of writing.

yanmaneee said...

nike lebron 16
kd shoes
retro jordans
golden goose
yeezy boost 350
kate spade handbags
supreme clothing
vans outlet
kyrie spongebob
coach outlet

yanmaneee said...

yeezys
goyard handbags
steph curry shoes
balenciaga
moncler
kyrie spongebob
cheap jordans
off white hoodie
kd 11
stone island

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...