Sunday, November 11, 2007

Drawings made of lines (slight kitty emphasis)

Well, my line drawings seem to be the backbone of this blog so to speak. People don't seem to mind so much what they're of. Nothing else seems to get any comments. So here are some I've done, along with bits of their oddball missmatched stories.

I suppose the only somewhat running theme is an effort to integrate more kitties and leaping, because I'm planning a painting with a big monumental leaping kitty.





It's all too easy to turn John Cena into a sort of voodoo chinese gaping monkeyliger.

Or an overly chin oriented cliche Disneyish man lion. But I haven't included my worst drawing sins.





Here's some more straightforward kitty action.

I have found cat anatomy far less 'intuitive' to grasp than human anatomy. I'm not sure if that might be an entirely instinctive issue. Also soft furry cats have less graphic lumps and softer corners than chemically enchanced oily megamen.









Here things got a bit sinister. This could almost go into the 'macabre' subsection in Deviantart. Oh dear.





I had quite cute idea about kitties emerging from triceps, but I didn't get around to rendering the joyous cute version of it.

This next one is a drawing I did of my Dad's head on a day when I hadn't eaten or drunk anything at all at two o clock in the afternoon because I was going to have a gasteroscopy. I was a bit lightheaded and made him look like 30s Clark Kent or somesuch.





Meanwhile no-reference Randy was sulking because I had neglected him and was (unsuccessfully for now) attempting to draw Brian Wilson and his brothers.





And some hastily photoshop coloured formally dressed anger management lions were also a little bit miffed at not being drawn nice and neatly but rather in a manic frenzy indicative of an unquiet mind.





Meanwhile the clench jawed Cena lions were still struggling to shake off the cheezy Disneyfication of chin which was hampering their efforts to be taken seriously as artistes.





Then some of them ended up looking a bit like they had a mask on over their real face... I quite like that idea.





Meanwhile Randy still thinks he's pretty damn sexy despite the fact I've been studiously ignoring him.





Or abstracting him into nonspecific balloon pleasure boy





In this next one, you can see a poor drawing of Dennis Wilson's playful head in the bottom right quadrant. Something may yet come of this. It takes a while for me to get confident with certain faces and find a place for them in my currently active mythology.





But really it's all about the kitties, and struggling fruitlessly with them. Yay!



24 comments:

Jason said...

Hello Chloe - Great drawings, original and energetic. I think you've just inspired me to update my blog. Thanks for popping by!

Chloe Cumming said...

Thanks Jason! I like your drawings.

Can't seem to help being energetic. Part of it comes from frustration.

Pickledtezcat said...

I really like the sketches and the recent painting of your dad. They seem imbued with a sort of frenetic energy which really brings them to life.

I think maybe you need to vary the energy levels to introduce a feeling of depth, perhaps reducing the energy in objects closer to the "viewer" to give then clarity and contrast.

Right now I'm starting to feel a bit lost in the arabesque detail of some of the drawings.

Chloe Cumming said...

Oh no! Well... often I feel like the more detailed drawings are a step towards more simple ones.

Although they always seem to come out energetic as an end result, I sit there feeling all stuck and then I'm grateful for any kind of flow of energy.

I think perhaps the messiness of some of these comes from the fact that I'm trying to think them through for paintings and they don't QUITE exist just for their own sake.

I think when I'm doing drawing more purely for its own sake, it's likely to be more funny and essential and more cartoony maybe. More thought out spatially and readable. Because nothing's more immediately rewarding than fun.

But future paintings are mysterious and take a certain amount of frenzied guesswork.

I suppose these are baroque scribbles.

Chloe Cumming said...

I feel like I tend to want to fight through chaos to weed out some order, if that makes any sense. That's just how my mind works.

Chloe Cumming said...

It's maybe not the ideal brain, but it seems to be the one I've got.

Pickledtezcat said...

There's nothing wrong with baroque scribbles. I just feel a bit like I'm too close to the action. The energy levels are a bit constant over the whole composition, it makes me feel a bit trapped, too close to the subject.

That's not necessarily a bad thing, it's just I'd love to get more of a feeling of spatial depth. Your older works had more of a static feel which allowed the viewer to sit back and observe, but maybe it was too flat, like looking at the world through a 200mm lens. I think mixing some of your older, flatter style with the newer more energetic style could give an environment which is engaging and challenging, but not uncomfortable.

Don't listen to me though, I've not produced anything worthwhile in months. :)

Chloe Cumming said...

Well, maybe when I do my Ulysses paintings it'll all come together.

Pickledtezcat said...

Woot!

Ulysses 31! That'd be awesome. :) I recently watched the whole set of episodes. Lots of potential material there...

Or do you mean a more traditional Ulysses? I think both could produce some interesting paintings.

Marc Deckter said...

Beautiful drawings and writing as usual - these cats that are creeping into your work are especially fun.

Eshniner Forest said...

wowzers!!!

Kenny P. said...

Heavens to Betsy, I love your drawings! VERY INSPIRATIONAL. I've been in such a rut lately...all work and no play.

And, for what it's worth, what I like most about these is the way features and faces and figures peek out from the chaos. Just grand!

Chloe Cumming said...

Hi Kenny, Welcome... and thank you! Yay!

I'll keep doing them then.

I did some out of my head of Ulysses getting out of his space ship but he was naked.

Tony C. said...

Beautiful work! These sketches have amazing intensity.

Brent Engstrom said...

I like the kitten popping out of Cena's tricep! Great stuff all around. I'll make sure to check back.

Ryan Kramer said...

wow chloe, your work is so fun to look at. How bout an exhibit in the LA area? heh heh?

Eshniner Forest said...

The beach boys. :)

Chloe Cumming said...

I was thinking of expanding on the tricep kittypop concept.

Chloe Cumming said...

Hi Ryan! Yes I think I should have an exhibition in LA. I just need to like, get it organized with the traversing the oceans and all that. Perhaps you all should sign a petition and hand it in to one of those hip lowbrow highbrow galleries. And I must locate my passport.

Jimbo said...

You're pretty fair with a pencil yourself, Chloe. I like the mythology themes. I am partial all things mythic, tall tales and such. If you can get a show in L.A. we'd be grateful.

Anonymous said...

Is Bigfoot Genuine or fake? For more than four hundred many years, there are actually reporting’s of a guy like creature that may be absolutely covered in hair.
[url=http://www.is-bigfoot-real.com/]yeti[/url]

Bingo Games said...

What excellent interlocutors :)

www.valencia-3d.com said...

Pretty helpful data, thanks so much for this article.

Anonymous said...

paul george
goyard bags
golden goose outlet store
bape shoes
fear of god

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...